November 12, 2014
What You Need To Know About Gummy Bear Implants
What Are Gummy Bear Implants?
Gummy Bear Breast Implants are the latest type of implants to date used for breast reconstruction and augmentation. These implants are called “Gummy Bear” because of their semi-solid and dense nature. This allows them to stay in the same shape even when cut in half, similar to the candy it’s named after.
Who Can Get Gummy Bear Implants?
Being a good candidate for Gummy Bear Implants means you have to be a good candidate for breast augmentation in general. Though Gummy Bears are more advanced and even known to be safer than saline or silicone implants, the risk of not knowing the requirements and limitation still exist.
After all, implants are still implants and careful surgery can go by smoothly as long as the patient fully understands what she’s about to go through. By fully understanding the situation, you’ll not only end up with great results, but you’ll also lessen the chances for dangerous complications.
So in order to determine whether you’re good to go for Gummy Bears or any type of breast implants for that matter, here are a few considerations to think over:
- You are 18-years-old or above
- You have good general health
- You don’t have any active infections
- You don’t have any active breast diseases
- You have a healthy Body Mass Index (BMI)
- You have a good support system (for post-surgery purposes) like family and friends
- You don’t smoke, or for a few weeks before and after the surgery, you’re willing to stop smoking
- You don’t have a medical condition where general anesthesia or other types of anesthesia may be harmful to you
- You’re not currently breastfeeding or pregnant
- You’re psychologically stable
How Do Gummy Bear Implants Work?
Due to the cohesiveness of Gummy Bears, the procedure will usually require a longer incision compared to saline or silicone implants. This is because silicone and saline implants can be inserted into the breast first before it’s filled up to its shape by the gel/saline through a tube. For Gummy Bears, they are al formed/shaped before they are inserted into the breast.
However, that’s about the only difference in the procedure of inserting Gummy Bears. The rests are the same to any other breast implant surgery that follows these steps:
Step 1: Anesthesia is administered for the safety and comfort of the patient. Depending on the situation and the recommendation of the surgeon/doctor, they may either use intravenous sedation or put you under general anesthesia.
Step 2: Normally there are three options where the surgeon can make an incision, and these are: A. On the areola/nipple, B. Under the breast, or C. On the underarm. For Gummy Bears though, the only viable area is Option B, where the surgeon is able to make a long enough incision to properly insert the implants.
Step 3: While there is a limited choice in the area of the incision, the surgeon still has two choices on how to insert the Gummy Bears. These choices are either over the pectoral muscle/directly behind the breast tissue or under the pectoral muscle.
Step 4: After their proper placement, the surgeon closes the incision with surgical tape, sutures or skin adhesive.
What Should I Expect During Gummy Bear Implant Surgery?
Generally you won’t experience any discomfort since you’ll be put under anesthesia. You won’t feel any pain during the surgery, but if you feel uncomfortable being awake through everything, you can request for general anesthesia if your surgeon thinks it’s okay.
These may be some cases of women who hesitate undergoing this surgery because they feel awkward about exposing themselves too much. If that’s the case, maybe researching for or requesting a female surgeon/doctor can be less awkward. It’s important to note though that these are professionals and they surely won’t put any malice into the procedure lest they want to be kicked out of practice!
Any type of surgery can be a cause of a little anxiety in a patient. However, as long as you’re fully prepared and completely understand what you’re getting yourself into, there should be nothing to worry about.
What Should I Expect After Gummy Bear Implant Surgery?
The recovery period after Gummy Bear surgery is closely similar to that of other types of breast implant surgery. You can expect your movement to be quite restricted in your upper torso, especially in your chest area and your arms.
Here are some examples of the following post-breast surgery effects that are quite common in a lot of women who just went through getting breast implants:
- You won’t have a lot of energy as you did before, meaning you’ll tire easily. However, that doesn’t give you the excuse to just stay in bed all day and every day after your operation. In fact, surgeons recommend patients to move around even just a little bit every day to prevent becoming sore and to prevent lethal blood clots.
- Your breasts will become numb, extremely sensitive, or even both. Although having breasts that are both numb and sensitive is a little weird, the good news is it’s not permanent. You can choose to take supplements with Vitamin B since that vitamin is good for the nervous system, but remember to always consult your doctor FIRST!
- While the nerves in your breasts regenerate, you may experience a stabbing or sharp pain. It may be quite uncomfortable but in reality, this is a good thing, and you should hope for this to happen! Fortunately, the pain will subside as the nerves continue to regenerate and in no time, you will feel no more pain.
Where Can I Get Gummy Bear Implants?
Cosmetic clinics offering breast implants in New York these days usually al have Gummy Bears available for those interested. Just visit your local clinic to do a search in the internet, where you’ll be sure to find more than just a couple of good options.
One of the doctors you can set a consultation with, for example, is the renowned “breast and body expert” Dr. Michael A. Fiorillo.